Oh I'm such a sucker for pizza. It's one of the best and easiest meals to put together. And it's so fun to do!
I make homemade pizza every single week and have been doing it for about 6 years now.
Friday night + homemade pizza + wine + a good movie! = A great date night idea!
I buy fresh store bought dough because I'm lazy like that (I am obsessed with Trader Joe's pizza dough the most but Publix also has really great dough), buy fresh ingredients to go on top, and whip up a hot pizza in no time. I feel like I'm really good at it at this point so today I'm sharing my tips and go-to ingredients that I swear by.
I must note that live in a dairy free house. My hubby Matt is lactose intolerant so I have to make our pizza with non-dairy cheese. It's the way I've been cooking since we met so I'm really used to it at this point. I'm very knowledgeable on dairy-free and vegan products and have tried a ton of them so if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and I can help you.
The great thing is that with the growing number of people with dietary restrictions, food manufacturers have done an incredible job making versatile and flavorful options for the dairy-free, gluten free, soy free, and vegan communities. The demand is definitely there (#vegan will be trending in 2018) and in my opinion they are certainly delivering good quality products.
The most important thing you need to make a perfect homemade pizza is a good quality pizza stone.
It's a game changer! I swear!
One of the newer brands of vegan/dairy-free cheeses to hit shelves is the Follow Your Heart Brand. For this pizza I used the Gourmet Mozzarella shreds. I have nothing but good things to say about this brand and this cheese. It's delicious and 100% Matt approved!
I think it melts GREAT which is always a quality I look for in any dairy-free or vegan cheeses.
I have used this brand on my last 3 pizzas and I officially love it! It's also super healthy and has WAY LESS FAT than real cheese.
Note: The first 2 times I tried it, I used the entire bag on the pizza but I felt like it was a little too liquidy so for this post I used less, about 3/4 of the bag, and it was perfect.
Fresh ingredients! Mushrooms, yellow bell peppers, green bell peppers, olives, red onions, and a mix of oregano and basil.
Vegan Cheezy Vegetable Pizza - Using 'Follow Your Heart' Vegan Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Fresh pizza dough
1/4 cup sliced yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup sliced green bell pepper
1/4 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup olives
1/4 cup sliced red onion
1/2-3/4 jar of tomato sauce
3/4 bag of vegan Follow Your Heart Mozzarella shredded cheese (I also love Daiya!)
1 T dried basil
1 T dried oregano
corn meal and flour for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 500 F - when it's ready, add clean pizza stone and let it get hot in the oven for 50-60 minutes. (Don't skip this step!)
2. Pull out dough from refrigerator and let it warm up on the counter.
3. Cut up all of your ingredients while the stone is warming up.
4. Once the stone is almost ready to come out, start rolling out your dough on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin. I like mine about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Sprinkle surface of pizza stone with about 1 Tablespoon of corn meal - this prevents the pizza from sticking on the pizza stone and leaves a nice texture on the bottom of the crust.
6. Add your dough to the stone.
7. Working quickly, add tomato sauce and spread out with a spatula. Sprinkle the basil and oregano seasoning on top of the sauce for some extra flavor.
8. Add 3/4 bag of the vegan cheese.
9. Add all remaining toppings until you feel like it's perfect.
10. Pop it in the oven (still on 500 F) and bake for 20-22 minutes.
11. After it's ready, let it cool on the pizza stone for about 15 - 20 minutes.
12. Transfer it to a cutting board and use a pizza cutter to slice it.
I hope you loved this recipe!
HERE IS MY VIDEO OF ME MAKING IT! SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND GIVE IT A THUMBS UP IF YOU LIKED IT.