Soups are perfect for Winter time. This creamy tomato soup recipe is so easy and uses just a few simple ingredients.
I love it most because it is plant based so it's very healthy. I used a baked sweet potato as a base to give it that sweet hint in every bite. The flavor is fresh and tangy and is just incredible.
I topped mine with croutons, extra basil, and a slice of toasted cheese bread on the side for the best experience!
I only used a small amount of salt compared to the high sodium canned soups you buy in the grocery stores so it's a much healthier option to make your own.
To give it that creamy texture I used my Kitchen Aid Immersion Blender (set) that I got for Christmas. I love it! Seriously, every cook needs an immersion blender. They are so useful.
The set came with several different attachment heads for blending various ingredients...ice cream, smoothies, nuts, etc. It's really versatile. If you don't want a big set, you can just buy an individual one for around $30!
Note: if you do not have an immersion blender, just use a regular kitchen blender. I own this Ninja Professional Blender and it's awesome.
Creamy Tomato Soup with a Sweet Potato Base - Vegan
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ginger
Handful of fresh basil
1. Bake sweet potato in the oven at 400F for 1 hour until soft.
2. In a frying pan, cook the white onion and garlic over medium heat until slightly brown and translucent.
3. Add cooked sweet potato, onions, oregano, ginger, and tomatoes to a blender (or you can just use a sauce pan and an immersion blender like I did if you have it) and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Return mixture to a sauce pan and cook on medium high heat for 3-5 until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in a handful of chopped basil.
5. Serve hot! It's great with a salad or grilled cheese sandwich.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and give it a thumbs up if you liked it!