Oven Roasted Cast Iron Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Pine Nuts - Vegan
A few weeks ago I was contacted by Cary Living Magazine to do the recipe spread for their 2018 Holiday issue which hits stands November 1st. I was over the moon excited to do it but I didn't have a lot of time to put it together. I put all of the fall recipes I had planned on doing for the blog, on the back burner, to get it done in time for print which is today. So I have been super busy over the last week and a half cooking Christmas and Thanksgiving foods. It was fun having a little bit of holiday cheer in October!
But it went really well and I think there will be 5 of my recipes in the holiday issue which will run through the end of December. There are treats, drinks, sides, desserts, and all are vegan recipes of course. I don't use animal products in my cooking for many reasons so it was a fun challenge making tasty and visually appealing holiday recipes for the magazine while still staying true to myself and the types of foods I love cooking and eating.
And today I'm sharing one of the recipes that will be in the magazine feature!
I couldn't resist as brussel sprouts are perfect all year long especially once the fall season approaches. Brussels are cute little mini cabbages and are especially high in fiber, vitamin K, and vitamin C. They are an easy and delicious side dish to go along with any Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. (Note: this recipe serves 2-3 so double it for more people.) My favorite way to cook them is in the oven in a cast iron pan.
Once you try it you will be hooked because this is the best method in my opinion. Using a cast iron pan allows the brussels to become nice and caramelized on the outside while the low and slow cooking process makes the insides nice and soft. The acidic apple cider vinegar and spices give it the most delicious flavor and texture, reducing the bitterness that usually accompanies brussel sprouts. And the soft toasted pine nuts are the perfect way to add even more flavor, texture, and nutrients.
Oven Roasted Cast Iron Brussels with Toasted Pine Nuts
1 lb. brussels sprouts, (rinse, trim ends, and remove outer leaves)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2-3 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add brussel sprouts and toss with the minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, ensuring that the sprouts are evenly coated.
3. Place brussel sprouts, in a single layer, in a large cast iron pan leaving space between each. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper.
4. Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes on the top rack. Give it a good stir halfway through. When finished, the sprouts should be brown but not burnt and the center nicely cooked through.
5. Once the brussel sprouts are finished cooking, transfer to a large bowl and stir in the toasted pine nuts. Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if needed.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave a comment below and let me know if you tried it!