Happy Holidays! This month I teamed up with Cary Living Magazine again to create some pretty visual art. I helped make a festive Holiday food spread for the November/December 2018 issue. You can find 5 of my recipes in the current issue including my Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Pine Nuts and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash.
I also created this apple cranberry galette for one of the recipes. For the cover, I knew I wanted something rustic. I felt like apples against a wooden board with pops of red and cinnamon might look really cool. I also wanted it to be appropriate for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas. So I decided to make a galette so you can see all the warm baked apples and cranberries inside.
An apple cranberry galette is basically the lazy person's pie. If you want to make a delicious pie without all of the fuss, this is a great recipe to try. I made it vegan by substituting the butter for room temp/slightly chilled coconut oil and it made a nice flaky crust. Top it with some ice cream or whipped cream and it will be a great dessert to enjoy this holiday season. It is so cozy and delicious!
Apple Cranberry Galette Recipe - Vegan
For the Crust:
1/2 cup chilled coconut oil (solid/room temp, not melted)
1 & 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cane sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water (add a little at a time)
For the Filling:
3-4 medium apples, thinly sliced (a combination of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Melted vegan butter for brushing on crust (I use Earth Balance)
Extra cane sugar for sprinkling on crust
Vanilla ice cream for serving
1. To make pie crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the coconut oil (do not melt) and combine the ingredients with hands. Add ice cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time. The mixture should be a little on the dry side. As the dough begins to stick together, form a flat disk, wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour. If it's too wet, dust with flour. Too dry? Add more water.
2. To make the filling: mix all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl until the apples are well coated. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove chilled dough and roll it out, into a circle shape, on a floured surface. Carefully transfer dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
4. Cover the center of the dough with filling leaving a 1 & 1/2 inch border all the way around. Fold the border over the filling to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle.
5. Brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle the crust with extra cane sugar.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden and the apples are tender.
7. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.