Oven Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Chives and Cashew Cream - Vegan
If I could only take one soup to a deserted Island, it would hands down be this one. It's deeeeeeelicious!
This cozy oven roasted butternut squash soup is one of my all time favorite soups for the Winter season and those cold weekend days where you just want to lay around in your pj's and do nothing but watch movies and eat good homemade food. It's perfect for that!
Roasting your butternut squash first is so important because it gets it nice and caramelized which is responsible for the amazing flavor you find in this soup.
Butternut squash is incredibly healthy as it is very high in Vitamin's A and C. It's also a great source of fiber, protein, calcium, iron, B-6, and magnesium.
This soup is thick, creamy, comforting, and has dynamic flavor. Definitely a crowd pleaser! Matt loves it and smiles big at the first bite every time.
The rich golden yellow color looks beautiful paired with the fresh green chives and homemade cashew cream swirl. These small additions take the soup up several notches in flavor and presentation. Fancy, right?
The cashew cream takes just 1-2 minutes to make so don't worry, it's not that much more work. It totally completes the soup so don't skip out. I really think you will like it. It's so yummy and a lot healthier for your body than using heavy dairy cream.
I love mine piping hot and served with a salad or a nice piece of fresh bakery bread. Make sure to dunk your bread in the soup a few times...it's the best. Enjoy!
Comforting Oven Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Chives and Cashew Cream // Vegan
(makes about 4 large bowls)
1 butternut squash (halved and seeded)
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallot (about 1 shallot)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp maple syrup or agave nectar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups vegetable broth
Cashew cream (simple recipe below)
1. To make the butternut squash: Preheat oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly drizzle each half with 1 tsp olive oil and rub it all over using a basting brush. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Flip over so the flesh is facing down. Roast for 45 minutes until nice and caramelized. Let it cool then spoon out the butternut squash into a large bowl, discarding the skins.
2. In a small skillet, heat up 1 tsp olive oil. Add the shallot and 1/2 tsp salt and stir for 2-3 minutes until it becomes soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and stir for a few more seconds. Remove from heat.
3. In a high speed blender add the cooked shallot and garlic, butternut squash, maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and a little black pepper. Pour in the vegetable broth. Blend until well mixed and creamy.
4. Transfer soup mixture to a large soup pot and warm for 3-5 minutes on medium heat. Stirring often. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
5. To make the cashew cream: In a mini food processor or high speed blender blend 1/4 cup water with 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews until nice and creamy. About 1-2 minutes. You can store the leftover cashew cream in an air tight container. It's great in coffee too!
6. Transfer soup to serving bowls and top with chopped chives and a cashew cream swirl. Serve immediately!