Fettuccine Alfredo with Broccolini and Mushrooms - Vegan
I'm so excited to share one of my all time favorite dinner recipes since going vegan. This meal is easy, nutritious, dairy-free, vegan, and absolutely packed with flavor. You and your family will love it!
The other day I read somewhere that most families have 10 go-to dinner meals that they make all the time. I thought about it and that is pretty accurate for our family too. I love recipe testing and trying new foods and flavors but I have my go-to quick meals that I make all the time.
One such dinner that I make every single week is this Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta. If you are a traditional white pasta sauce lover then you will really like it. The sauce tastes so much like real dairy. It's creamy, rich, and has that cheesey flavor due to the nutritional yeast. It's so good.
Classic Alfredo sauces are absolutely loaded with fat and calories. But this recipe is far from it. It's got very little fat calories, just a little from the cashew butter. It's all plant ingredients so it's very low in calories but very nutrient dense. I think that's the beauty of plant based eating. You can have your favorite foods but in a much healthier way.
I also try to choose whole wheat pasta as often as possible because it's in its whole state (not stripped of important nutrients) and contains much more fiber. Most Americans do not get enough fiber in their diet so this is a great way to sneak more in.
This dish is versatile too. You can add any cooked veggies you want. I have made it with red bell peppers and carrots too. My favorite combo is the broccolini and mushrooms though. The broccolini stalk is longer, thinner, and not as dense as regular broccoli so it's perfect in this type of dish. It pairs so well with the soft baby bella mushrooms.
I hope you enjoy this dish! I also have a video tutorial at the bottom so check that out too and subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Whole Wheat Fettuccine Alfredo with Broccolini and Mushrooms // Vegan Dinner Recipe
14 oz. Fettuccine (I always use whole wheat)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup raw cashew butter
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp brown rice flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning (or make your own using 1/4 tsp of each: dried oregano, basil, thyme, & rosemary)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bundle of fresh broccolini
1 package (8 oz) of baby bella mushrooms, pre-cut
1. Saute the veggies: Cut broccolini in small 1 inch pieces. In a large cast iron pan or regular pan, saute the broccolini and mushrooms over medium-high heat until tender for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2. Make the sauce: In a high speed blender, add all of the sauce ingredients and blend until well mixed. It will be very runny at this point, which is normal.
3. Boil the pasta: In a large sauce pan, fill with water and boil the pasta for 8-9 minutes. Cook times may vary depending on what pasta you use. Drain and set aside.
4. Cook the sauce: Add the sauce to a large pan over high heat. Once it starts bubbling all over, immediately turn the heat down to medium-low and whisk for 3 minutes continuously until it thickens. It will thicken even more as it cools. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Cover and remove from heat.
5. On a large plate, add the pasta and top with the veggies followed by a nice portion of the sauce.
CHECK OUT MY VIDEO TUTORIAL ON YOUTUBE TO SEE HOW I MADE THIS DELICIOUS MEAL & SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL! :)