Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff - Vegan
One of my new favorite dinners! I usually have most of these ingredients on hand so it's one I can make on the fly. This mushroom stroganoff is warm, creamy, and tastes so good with rice and fresh thyme. Serve it over a bed of mixed greens or spinach to make it even healthier.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
1 sweet onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
11 oz. mushrooms, sliced (baby bella/cremini)
4 T white wine
2-3 T soy sauce
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 T cornstarch
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I almost always use Lite Canned Coconut Milk for sauces – makes it ultra creamy without any coconut flavor! – Full Fat will give it a coconut flavor.)
Spice mixture: 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, a pinch of red pepper flakes, sea salt & black pepper to taste
Fresh thyme or parsley
Serve over rice or pasta of choice
1. Add cornstarch to the non-dairy milk and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat for about 5 mins.
4. Pour in white wine, soy sauce, vegetable broth and the spice mixture. Bring to a boil.
5. Pour the milk-cornstarch mixture into the pan, stir, and cook on low-medium heat for about 10-12 minutes until the sauce thickens and the mushrooms have softened. Stir frequently and keep tasting it as it cooks. I always add a bunch more salt, pepper, and soy sauce!
6. Serve over rice or pasta and garnish with fresh thyme or parsley.