When I get tired of having homemade fries I opt for the next best thing - homemade onion rings! These crispy vegan onion rings are oven baked and oil free, so no crazy frying or fiddling with a thermometer is required. I personally love these just dipped in ketchup but it's also delicious with spicy mayo. Matt likes his with BBQ sauce. They are oil free so a lot healthier than deep fried onion rings... and still just as crispy. A great little fall snack or tasty side to go with dinner.
♡ Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings (vegan! oil free!) ♡
1 large sweet onion
WET DIP: 1 cup all purpose flour 3 Tbsp corn starch 1 & 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
DRY DIP: 1 & 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs 1/2 cup cornmeal (I used medium grind) 1/4 cup nutritional yeast 1 tsp salt 1 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Slice the sweet onion into 1/2 - 3/4 inch rings and set aside.
3. To make the wet dip stir together the flour and cornstarch then whisk in the almond milk until a smooth batter forms.
4. To make the dry dip in a separate large bowl combine the bread crumbs, cornmeal, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and smoked paprika.
5. Dip the onion rings one at a time into the wet mixture, shaking off any excess. Then dip them into the dry mixture, nicely coating each side. Transfer each onion ring to the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy hot and fresh right out of the oven!