Ultra Creamy Everyday Hummus - Vegan
I love a good, plain old traditional hummus. Like the kind you find at the best Lebanese and Mediterranean restaurant in town. That would be Sasool back in my hometown of Raleigh, NC. Dipped with fresh hot pita bread - it's heaven!
I have tried so many different homemade hummus recipes and often times I am just not excited about them. The hummus tends to come out too dense, too dry, or just tastes off. I've tested out oil free, with oil, veggie variations, etc. They just don't quite have that tang that I like in my hummus.
But this recipe is my all time favorite! It's easy, I usually have all the ingredients on hand (yay for pantry staples), and it's incredibly flavorful. Not to mention, silky smooth. The trick? Softening chickpeas in simmering hot water on the stove top. It's a great way to make your hummus even creamier.
A great classic and traditional hummus for everyday eats.
♡ Ultra Creamy Everyday Hummus - Vegan ♡
1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
1/2 tsp. baking soda (only if you are using canned chickpeas)
1/4 cup lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
1 large garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup tahini
2-4 Tbsp ice water
1/2 tsp cumin
1 T olive oil
1. Place the chickpeas in a medium sauce pan with baking soda and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
2. In a food processor blend together the the lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Let that sit for 10 minutes to infuse all of the flavors together.
3. Add the tahini to the food processor and blend for another few seconds.
4. While the motor is running, pour in 2 tablespoons of ice water down the shoot and blend for a few more seconds.
5. Add the cumin, softened chickpeas, and olive oil and blend, for 2 minutes, until the hummus is ultra smooth and creamy. Taste it and adjust seasonings if needed.