Homestyle Mac and Cheese - Vegan + Oil Free
Mac & Cheese is so easy to make vegan! Trust me, you need a recipe or two in your life! It's amazing!
You may be wondering, "How do you make mac and cheese without dairy/cheese?" Easy! Plants such as potatoes, butternut squash, cashews, carrots, onions, cauliflower, and many more can combine in various ways with herbs and spices to produce the most decadent mac and cheese you have ever had.
Trust me, it's way tastier and much more healthy than Velveeta or Kraft. It doesn't have any processed toxic ingredients that we can't identify and is actually full of macro and micro nutrients. It's an excellent way to sneak more vegetables into you and your kids' diet!
I have been making vegan mac and cheese for my husband Matt for years now (he is lactose intolerant) and know what the winning combinations are. This recipe is one of our favs and is healthy, delicious, oil free, creamy, and super nutritious! Yum!
The best thing about vegan mac and cheese is that it's cruelty free! No animals were harmed in the making of this healthy comfort classic. If you didn't know, the dairy industry is one of the most violent and cruel industries out there. I discuss this in today's video below. I do not support the dairy industry at all and will never give them another dime of my money. What they put mother cows and baby calves through is something out of a horror movie and is incredibly heartbreaking. I was naive to this for the longest time. The same goes for all factory farm animals but cows actually have it worse than you may realize. Nobody, I mean, nobody on Earth needs to be drinking the secretions of a 1,000 lb. mammal especially after infancy...including children. We aren't baby cows and we don't need to steal their milk. And if you actually research it, dairy is extremely unhealthy and inflammatory contributing to many of the chronic diseases we see today. The casein in milk is definitively linked to cancer. It's all a scam. Why do you think dairy is one of the biggest lobbies? Check out this iconic video with 6 million views by the amazing Erin Janus as to why Dairy is Scary! It may change your life...
Enjoy the recipe!
Vegan Mac & Cheese Recipe - OIL FREE & HEALTHY
(makes about 4 servings)
1 cup Yukon gold potatoes or russet, peeled and diced
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used a sweet onion)
1/4 cup peeled and diced carrot
1 cup water
1/2 cup raw cashews
1-2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tablespoon runny roasted Tahini
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 Tablespoon salt (taste, and add more if you want to!)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 lb. of macaroni pasta
1. In a medium saucepan add the potatoes, onions, carrots, and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
2. In a large blender add the cashews, garlic, tahini, dijon mustard, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder. Then add in the cooked veggies including the water. Wait a few minutes for the veggies to cool down before you blend it. Once they have cooled down a bit, blend all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
3. Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
4. Drain pasta and return to the pot. Add in the blended cheese sauce and stir until well incorporated!
5. Top with a little freshly cracked salt and black pepper and dig in!
Enjoy my awesome music video tutorial below for how to make this delicious vegan mac & cheese!